PHSE & Sex & Relationship Education
At St. Osmund's Catholic Primary School we are followers of Jesus who seek to show love, care and respect for everyone. We meet every challenge by growing and learning together. We take pride in caring for others.
We teach weekly Health and Well-being sessions which are underpinned by the Life to the full scheme and enhanced with PHSE elements form the "Living in the Wider World".
This is because PSHE as a whole is a non-statutory subject. Life to the Full only covers the statutory requirements of RHE. In practice, this means that much of “Living in the Wider World” within PSHE is not covered in the programme. However, you can be assured that Life to the Full does meet all of the statutory requirements of the new RHE curriculum. The scheme also covers the teaching of the protected characteristics in schools.
We enhance the scheme with objectives from the Living in the Wider World PHSE curriculum to ensure that e we are preparing our children well for their future and a live in modern Britain.
Life to the Full is an ever-evolving programme, responding to our schools’ current needs and new guidance from the DFE. With this in mind, the overviews will be further enhanced during the following academic years, incorporating the themes below for example:
- Homophobic bullying. A new resource was released as part of the 11-14 November ‘Anti-Bullying Week 2021’, including teaching on homophobic bullying.
- Bereavement Resource. A new resource about bereavement was released as part of the 2 – 7 December ‘National Grief Awareness Week’.
- FGM Awareness. A new resource for UKS2 only exploring in an age-appropriate way the dangers and warning signs of FGM, was released in time for February 6th, ‘International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation’.
- Anti-racism Resource. A new anti-racism resource was released in time for March 21st, ‘International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination’.
- Deaf Awareness. By May 2022, we hope to add subtitles to all video content and launch the new content to coincide with Deaf Awareness Week 2022, 2 – 8 May 2022.
Health and Wellbeing yearly Longterm Overviews
Relationships and Sex Education (RSE)